César Baldaccini (1921 – 1998) was born in Marseille from Italian parents. From 1935 to 1939 he studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Marseille and later at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. César settled permanently in the capital in 1943 and moved above the studio of Alberto Giacometti, where he met Pablo Picasso, Jean Cocteau and Jean Paul Sartre. In 1952 he began producing sculptures by welding together iron scrap, initially known for its massive sculptures representing insects, animals and nudes. His first major solo exhibition was held in Paris, at the Salon de Mai, in 1955, where he obtained such a success that the artist was invited to participate in the Venice Biennale in 1957. In 1960 he creates the first “compression”, obtained by compressing precisely scrap car to make compact bundles. Later the same year, Cesar joins the New Realists group which includes artists such as Arman, Yves Klein, Martial Raysse, Jean Tinguely and Pierre Restany. In 1965 he started working with plastic, first with plastic molds of human footprints and from 1966 onwards pouring polyurethane foam, which allows time to expand and solidify. Already in 1966 César renunced to welded metal sculpture. From 1967 to 1970 he organized a series of events in which produces expansion in the presence of the public. The latest works include cast glass sculptures. In 1982 some retrospectives of his works are organized by the Musée d’Art Moderne in Liege, Niçois by Espace d’Art et de Culture in Nice, from the Foundation and dall’Ottara Seibu Museum in Japan. In 1995 he participated in the Venice Biennale. César died in Paris December 6, 1998.